Today Scotty left class half way through and we made our way to Versailles. Wow! This place really is amazing. The Chalet itself is so opulent and full of history it really boggles the mind. The gardens are spectacular – full of hand-trimmed topiaries and gorgeous fountains, lawns, flowers, hedges, and more. The galleries in the Chalet are full of the paintings you see in your history books – Marie Antoinette and her children, Louis XVIII, Lafayette at Yorktown, Napoleon in all his glorified insecurity. It’s really something. But I think my favorite thing was Marie Antoinette’s “Village” where she played peasant. Despite starting out as popular with the common populace and peasant classes Marie seemed to slip further and further into some sort of delusion that led her to construct this classic English village for her amusement. It’s complete with a water mill, lovely gardens, thatch roofed cottages, streams stocked with coi, and flowers everywhere.
Sponsor a Child
Follow me on Pinterest
Melissa Carr on … Xandré Verkes on … realoves on …
- My happy place in STL. (with Scotty, AUDREY, and Glen at @mobotgarden) [pic] — path.com/p/xCwj8 9 months ago
- RT @derekryanbrown: 4,500? Good lord! No complaints about my life today. twitter.com/AFP/status/746… 10 months ago
- British Lose Right to Claim That Americans Are Dumber newyorker.com/humor/borowitz… via @BorowitzReport 10 months ago
- Epiphanius’ <i>Alogi</i> and the Johannine Controversy - Brill brill.com/products/book/… via @AddThis 1 year ago
- When Target stocks kid fedoras and your two-year-old loves hats. #ridiculous #wouldyousayno [pic] — path.com/p/Z88Bb 1 year ago
Notice of Copyright© Rebecca Manor and ScottyBecca, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Rebecca Manor and https://scottybecca.wordpress.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.