I have had so much fun reading this book! Thanks to my friend Audrey for making the suggestion, I was sucked into the world of New York Times restaurant critic and former editor-in-chief of Gourmet Ruth Reichl’s entertaining and slightly subversive world. I could not get enough of this book – it kept me up until the wee hours of the morning on several occasions! Pairing mouth-watering descriptions of magnificent meals with wry observations on human nature, this book tackles the New York food scene with enthusiasm, sarcasm, wit, and grace. Reichl’s prominent position forces her to work under cover, donning elaborate costumes complete with new personalities. Her musings on the effect these alternative personas have on her are very intriguing. As she states, “I love the theatre of restaurants. Restaurants are magical places; for a few hours you can be anyone you want to be.” This is a great read for long cold winter evenings desperately in need of brightening. And it will inspire you to pull out that cookbook, or even try some of the recipes Reichl includes in the book. Bon appetite!
Sponsor a Child
Follow me on Pinterest
Melissa Carr on … Xandré Verkes on … realoves on …
- My happy place in STL. (with Scotty, AUDREY, and Glen at @mobotgarden) [pic] — path.com/p/xCwj8 1 year ago
- RT @derekryanbrown: 4,500? Good lord! No complaints about my life today. twitter.com/AFP/status/746… 1 year ago
- British Lose Right to Claim That Americans Are Dumber newyorker.com/humor/borowitz… via @BorowitzReport 1 year ago
- Epiphanius’ <i>Alogi</i> and the Johannine Controversy - Brill brill.com/products/book/… via @AddThis 1 year ago
- When Target stocks kid fedoras and your two-year-old loves hats. #ridiculous #wouldyousayno [pic] — path.com/p/Z88Bb 2 years ago
Notice of Copyright© Rebecca Manor and ScottyBecca, 2009-2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Rebecca Manor and https://scottybecca.wordpress.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.